As a Cemetery Counsellor at Woodlawn Memorial Park, my number one job is to meet with families and explain to them what cemetery services we offer. There are always so many questions families have when choosing a cemetery, (rightfully so), that part of the process inevitably involves educating families about the options that are available and will meet their wishes and needs.
Questions around cemetery arrangements are usually one or more of the following::
1. What Are Interment Rights?
Interment rights can be defined as the right to put a deceased person in a lot. At Woodlawn, we call this lot a final resting place.
There are a number of questions we ask families when discussing interment rights:
- Are you choosing a casket or cremation?
- If it’s a cremation, are you choosing an inground burial or an above-ground burial into a niche?
- Will there be multiple family members in the same final resting place?
- Do you prefer a flat marker or an upright monument?
Once we go through preliminary questions with the family, we can accurately plan the next steps in the process.
2. What is the interment fee?
The interment fee is based on whether the remains are being placed in a lot-grave, niche, or crypt. The opening and closing of these final resting places can vary.
3. What is memorialization?
A memorialization is how your loved one will be identified: plaque, flat marker or upright monument.
The memorialization is unique in that it doesn’t have to be done right away. If you and your family aren’t sure of what you’d like on the memorialization or want something special, feel free to take your time as it can be decided on at a later date.
Planning ahead makes the process easier
While death can occur suddenly, we recommend that if you have the opportunity, begin planning ahead. There are a few reasons for this, including:
- It saves your family and friends from having to make difficult decisions during a time of grief
- Your wishes will be honoured in the process
- It gives you and your family time to assess and compare your options
- Prepaying may reduce or eliminate the financial burden on your family
If you have questions to ask about our processes or would like to begin planning ahead, schedule a no-obligation appointment with myself and our team. We’d be happy to assist you.
Written by Christina Furtado-Burke, Cemetery Counselor at Woodlawn Memorial Park